When we moved into our latest rental home we came across this monstrosity of a bathroom. To say I was shocked was an understatement. I know that everyone has different taste but how on earth could someone ever think that this bathroom looked good? And to make matters worse this wasn’t the only room in the house painted this terrible orange!
My next stop was to our local Sherwin Williams Paint Store to find the perfect color and primer. Ultimately, the color we decided to go with was Morning Fog (SW-6255). We felt it was a great color that would complement the natural light and blend well with the other colors in the house while still providing a neutral space for any future tenants.
We purchased two cans of paint and one can of high quality latex primer. Our total cost with 20% off coupon was about $80. We needed enough paint and primer to cover, the guest bath (orange), our laundry room (orange), and our master bath (a life sucking red). In the end we really only needed one can of paint and one can of primer to paint all 3 rooms. Would you believe it took 2 coats of primer and 2 coats of paint to get rid of this horrendous color? It was a lot of work, but in the end it was so worth it.
Painting Tip: Whenever you are working with an extremely bright, dark, or bold color it is always best to start with a primer. This will help save you time and money when it comes to painting. Without this primer it is likely that it would have taken 6+ coats to cover this original orange paint.
We absolutely love the way our new guest bathroom turned out. It is beautiful and still functional for everyone.
So I guess that brings us down to the cost of all the goods:
- $25 in paint (I already had tape, brushes, and a roller)
- $13 for the beautiful new shower curtain at Marshall’s
- $5 for a new garbage at Ross.
Everything else you see in the bathroom I already owned.
That brigs me to a grand total of $43 for a complete bathroom transformation!
Are you interested in stealing the whole look? Here’s a rough breakdown of where everything else came from:
- The two framed black and white flower prints and frames I purchased at World Market, roughly $35 for both
- The collection of vintage glass bottles I purchased at a yard sale for about $1 total
- The silk flowers came from Marshall’s for about $7.
- The lead crystal vase also came from a yard sale for about $2.
- All the shelves, brackets, metal basket, hanging pail and hardware I purchased at Ikea. each shelf ran me about $10.
- The Yellow picture frame with the metal flower I purchased at Pier1 for about $12. The beautiful sound picture in the frame I took while visiting Seattle, WA.
- The rattan basket also came from Marshall’s $9.
- The Relax sign came from Bed Bath and Beyond $5.
- And the mercury glass candle holder was a wonderful Christmas gift.
In the end our little bathroom had great bones, but who would have guessed they were there under all of that ugly ugly paint!
As always I hope you found some enjoyment in this post! I’d love to hear from you so don’t be afraid to speak up!
Love our Blog? Don’t forget to sign up for our newsletter! See the sign up form on the right side of your screen.