This week I am back with not one, but two french dresser makeovers to share with you!
This was one of those projects that has been a long time coming. When we moved last time I sold the dresser/changing table we used in our daughter’s room. Even though we’ve been getting settled into our new abode for several months now, I never quite got around to replacing it. That was until my my mother in law called with exciting news about two french provincial dressers they spotted at their church yard-sale. Better yet there were only $10 for the pair! They were the How amazing is that?!? Definitely the perfect combination in my book.
Here is what they looked like when they arrived from their long tip to their new home. They were kind of a weird green-cream color with lots of chipped and cracked paint. I owe a huge thank you to my father in-law for completing the first step in getting these babies ready for a new paint job. He striped and sanded the tops of both dressers for me while I was finishing up another project. I couldn’t ask for a better father in-law than that!
When it came to picking out paint colors I knew I didn’t want to do anything to nursery-ish. They also needed to be able to transition into a big girl room while still being appropriate for a little one. To make things more complicated only one of the dressers will be in her room for now. The other one will live in our guest room which is full of my husband’s man things. Needless to say he wouldn’t exactly be over joyed with a pink dresser in there. So I decided to go with a mis-matched look. We painted both dressers with a home made chalk paint. The long lowboy dresser got a fresh new look with coral pink (Valspar Amber Rose 2003-3b) and the tall highboy dresser looks great in a deep navy blue (Valspar Indigo Streamer 4010-4).
To add visual interest and to tie the dressers together I added these adorable stripes to the side of the dresser drawers in the opposite color. For full instructions on how to get Perfectly Striped Drawers along with the two most important steps check out my post here!
After all the painting was done including a painting the hardware with a nice bright white I waxed everything with Johnson’s Paste Wax and then once more for good measure. Since they are going into our little one’s room I wanted to make sure they had a nice protective finish.
Once everything had time to dry it was time to move it into the house and finish them with a few cute accessories.
I love these printables I found on Esty when we were decorating little one’s room. They look stunning in my vintage silver frames.
These dressers turned out remarkably and met all those pesky requirements on our list. They are girly, without being over the top yet masculine enough to blend with boy stuff. They will be the perfect fit for the little one as she grows out her baby needs and into her big girl room. I can’t believe how fast she is approaching her “big girl room” but for now it is so nice to not be changing diapers on the floor anymore!
Do you have any furniture in your home that is pulling double duty? I’d love to hear how you make it all work in the comments below!
Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links. Buy purchasing items through these links I receive a small portion of the sale. They do not cost you any extra and all money earned is put toward bringing you great DIY projects. I only support products and companies that I happily use in my home. All DIY projects are my own. Always use caution when working with chemicals. Only work in well ventilated areas. For more information visit our Policy Page.
If you loved the look of my french dressers here are a few items that have a similar look and feel
If you enjoyed this post please share it with your friends. Remember sharing is caring!