Today I am sharing a post that has been a very long time in the making. Last year I made three of the most adorable skunk costumes for my cousin and her family, but unfortunately I ran out of time to get them posted before Halloween came. So this year I am ahead of the game and sharing these adorable DIY Skunk Costumes!
If you’re looking for something simple that doesn’t require a in depth knowledge of sewing this in definitely the right project for you! All you have to do is modify a simple black hoodie with a few skunky details and viola you have an adorable DIY Skunk Costume.
- Black Hoodie
- Black Gloves
- White Fur Material
- Black Fleece
- Black Thread
- Therma Bond
- Poly Fill
- Pink Felt
I started with a plain black zip up hoodie, although this project could also be completed with a pullover sweater to save a few steps. In this case I made it for a nursing mama so a zip up sweater was a must!
I started by measuring the hoodie from front of the hood to the base of the neck and again from the base of the neck to the bottom of the back. Then I cut a 6″ wide strip of white fur fabric in each length. The reason I decided on two pieces of fabric instead of one was to keep the bulk down around the neck and allow the hood to move more freely.
* If I was doing this project all over, instead of making the fur strip a consistent 6″ wide I would have made it thinner at each end (hood end and bottom edge) and wider in the middle for some added interest.
Next I cute a strip of Therma bond the same size as the two fur pieces and applied it to the back of the fur using the iron. Be sure to read the directions on the Therma Bond as each brand, thickness, and style seems to have a slightly different set of instructions. Once the Therma Bond was firmly attached to the fur I ironed the fur in place on to the hood and the back of the sweater.
To make the tail I started by sketching out a general tail shape onto the paper side of my Therma Bond. Next I cut out this shape and used it as the template for 2 pieces of black fleece and 1 piece of white fur. Then I ironed the Therma Bond to one side of one piece of black fleece then ironed on the piece of white fur. Next I placed the right side of the white fur piece and the right side of the black fleece together and ran them through my sewing machine adding a quick hem around the upper edges and leaving the bottom of the tail open.
To add support and shape to the tail I took a wire clothes hanger and pulled the center of the lower wire out and then using a pair of pliers bent the hook into a loop. Then I slid the hanger into the bottom opening of the tail and packed it with pollyfill. Finally I bent the loop up toward he top of the tail so I could attach it to the sweater.
To attach the tail I used black thread I sewed the tail to the lower portion of the sweater using the hanger loop as and anchor to support the out stretched tail.
Once the tail was attached I turned the sweater over an started work on the belly. For the belly I grabbed my marker and make a quick sketch of a belly shape on the back of the fur fabric and cut it out. Then I applied Thermo Bond to half (length wise) of the shape. Next I took this piece and applied it to one side of the front of my sweater. Aligning the line of the thermo bond up against the edge of the zipper. Once it was in place I marked and stitched on 5 snaps around the non attached side of the belly fur and to the sweater. This allows the sweater to be easily opened and closed while still hiding the zipper.
With the belly in place it was time to turn my attention to the ears. To make the ears I used a few scrap pieces of fleece and cut 4 U shaped pieces. With right sides together I quickly stitched around the U shape leaving the bottom open. Next I took a small scrap of Therma Bond and White Fur and added them to the centers of my two U shaped pieces. Then I trimmed the length of the white fur down to about 0.5″ long and filled them with polly fill. Finally I sewed each ear at the edge of the white fur stripe along the top of hood making sure the were even.
With the main body of my DIY Skunk Costume finished all that was left to do was add a few fun details. I added a pink fabric flower at the base of one ear and a bustling hook and eye hidden in the tail. This way the tail could be up or down depending on the wears preference. Next up was the gloves. After a brief internet search I found a skunk paw print. Then printed and cut it out to use as a pattern. Next I cut out each piece in pink felt and using the Therma Bond I attached it to the black gloves.
It is always interesting to start with an idea and watch is come together. I really love the way this DIY Skunk Costume turned out in the end! Not only is adorable but it is perfect for cold weather trick or treating!! This year I am obsessed with black and white Halloween decor! Here are a few of my favorites!
If you enjoyed this post please share it with your friends! Remember sharing is caring!